Jul 18, 2014

I got a new graphic card, GTX750

I got a new graphic card, GTX750. This is a low-end graphic card that is made by NVidia. The reason why I picked this graphic card is because it is designed to consume low power. Most of other graphic cards consumes about 150~250W while GTX750 consumes only 55W. The performance is little less than half of high-end graphic card but I think it is still strong enough to run most of Steam games. At worst case, I can reduce shadow map size or adjust some other options to get better performance. The price was also cheap; I got it at $120 from Fry's and it came with $20 rebate by mail.

*PS: image from http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-650/product-images

*PS: image from http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-650/performance

Recently I have been thinking that I should use more computer than just playing games. I used to write a lot and read more. But I am not doing them.

Last two years, I spent a lot of time commuting; five hours a day. Last December my wife and I agreed to move to a place close to my company. Since then, I got some free time back and I have been playing games. Recently I realized that I could have spent it better wisely. Once we have a baby, I wouldn't have time for myself again. So I have been trying to move from console to my desktop computer.

The problem I found was that my desktop computer is so loud. It might be fine a few years ago but since I got used to small and silent devices like RaspberryPi, Tablets and PlayStation, I couldn't bear the noise from my computer. It was also super hot after one or two hours later. I kept looking for a solution and a few days ago I found this awesome cool graphic card, GTX750. It took only two hours for me to get one after I learned about it. Also I took out my SSD drive from another computer and installed it on the desktop computer. I adjusted fan speed little bit and vacuumed inside of the computer. After all the effort, it still makes some fan noise but it is about the level I may be able to take. If it still bother me, I may try turning of one of five fans, replacing the power supply or replacing the CPU cooler with water cooling device. BTW, noise canceling headset certainly helps.


No comments: